Matthew 22:37-39

Matthew 22:37-39

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

One Day Without Shoes-TOMS




So today one of my moms I babysit for, came in and asked if we had a dryer so that she could dry her baby's blanket that was still wet from washing it the night before. I said yes of course. And then my mind flashed back to so many friends/students in Haiti that I saw hand washing their clothes in dirty water because they didn't have washer, dryer, running water, electricity, etc. I think back to the times we had lost electricity there for 14 days, and hand washed our clothes and I was awful at that but it opened my eyes and taught me new things. While living there I thought, wow we are so spoiled. So today, I got to thinking again, wow I am so spoiled. Blessed but spoiled to have a washer and dryer. Blessed but spoiled to have a roof over my head, food in my belly, clothes on my body, shoes on my feet; when so many don't. Today is "One Day Without Shoes" and again I feel blessed but spoiled. I stay home with the kids, so going barefoot wasn't anything different until I walked to the mailbox. As the tiny rocks were going in my feet, I thought, I am spoiled to have the option to put shoes on my feet.
Brennan, Lyndlee and I are not wearing shoes today and I have been explaining to Lyndlee why we are doing this. And she understands. We watched a video that TOMS put on their website and she kept saying "How sad mommy, kids don't have shoes" I love her heart.
I have a closet full of shoes I don't even wear. Why I am blessed and spoiled, when others are hurting and have aching & hurting feet?

I really admire Blake Mycoskie and his determination to help others be able to have shoes.
Founder Black Mycoskie stated that, “Giving is what fuels us. Giving is our future. It’s the core of our business and it’s time we celebrate it.” And that’s just what they are doing. The results, the way in which Toms Shoes has made a difference, it’s pretty impressive. In their first “Giving Report” (for 2010), they have reported that they have given over 1,000,000 shoes to children in need all over the world from Haiti to Ethopia to El Salvador to right here in the United States.
By Sunny Channel

So today my prayers are that I am thankful, I truly am grateful for all that God has given me. But I desire less in my life, meaning less things, less material things, less shoes for the whole purpose of giving more. I want to give to others in need, to love others always, to show them Jesus' love. And I want to teach my children to do the same. And it can start with no shoes today to help raise awareness.......

No comments: